Winter sun, crisp and bright
Initially smoke, tar, peat ash hint of muddiness/wet peat moss. Candied orange, pepper, chocolate, macaroon, vanilla fudge and lemon meringue pie.
Liquid gold, soft and delicate texture from slow distillation. Superb fruit/smoke combination. On the lips there is soft kiss of salt spray, ozone fresh. Sweet oak gives vanilla, fudge, marzipan and walnut. Melon and citrus come through on a floral breeze. Many layered there is a lot find in this Octomore.
Wow! Smoothness, sweetness and then smoke. A texture like no other, satin soft and devilishly warming. The American oak influence is in perfect tune with the smoke and soft fruits delicately, skilfully coaxed from the still during exceptionally slow distillation. Vanilla, honey, citrus rise up to be met with sea spray and leather, smoked mussels mix with autumn bracken and crème brûlée.
Refined, confident, a little extra age has tempered some of the vitality but this dram has gained a classic, timeless feel.
Led by the structural brilliance of 08.1, we can pause at this symbolic moment to enjoy a single malt masterclass. The experimental ethos, the muscular quality, is still very much to the fore, but there is enlightenment now, a sure-footed confidence. 08.1 is the necessary benchmark, the launch pad from which others can only follow. 08.1 reveals the astonishing subtlety of our phenolic universe, leading us along a pathway into a world like no other.
Reviews by Drammer.com users
- Tasted at:
- Smoke, peat, and dried fruit.
- Oak, smoke, vanilla, and sea salt. The smoke does not overwelm.
- Smooth sweet smoke. A satin finish with a light taste of fruit.
- Octomore is supposed to be the king of peat, but it comes across much softer than Ardbeg or Laphroaig. It’s my new favorite peated whisky.
- Tasting note:
- Vol van smaak. Lekkere whisky maar vind deze absoluut geen 130 euro waard. Voor 167 ppm vind ik het zwaar tegenvallen.. De ardbeg uigeadail en laphroaig 10 yo ruiken en smaken vele malen zwaarder qua peat terwijl het ppm gehalte veel minder is. Desondanks smaakt de octomore 8.1 zeker goed maar 130 euro is zwaar overdreven naar mijn mening.
- Tasting note:
- In de juiste richting